I see a ton of red flags pop up daily when it comes to social media management, but these are definitely at the top of the list. So if you get a handle on the points I’ve outlined here, you’ll soon have a much better handle on your whole social media marketing process!
Shilling – in every single tweet. Stop. Stop it now. This is social suicide for any brand and is guaranteed to lose you followers, not to mention making you extremely unattractive to everyone else. No-one likes a narcissist; your feed should cater to your audience and their interests – not pitch your services to them relentlessly. Generally an 80/20 rule is a good bet, with 80% of your posts addressing your followers’ needs and the other 20% revolving around your company and services. It’s the difference between being the friendly lady in the store asking if she can help you out (who then politely buggers off), and the irritating guy who turns up on your doorstep uninvited, with the worst sales pitch ever.
Forgetting to be Human. You’re not a Bot, as far as I know anyway. You’re a living, breathing human being (although to be fair, with some people…I do wonder) – so act like one. Engage with people, converse, and actually READ what other people are saying. The world doesn’t revolve around you, and neither does twitter. Once you actually take an interest in other peoples businesses, they’ll start to take an interest in yours. Generosity is catching. Sharing is caring. It’s nice to be nice. Okay, I’m all out of inspirational quotes here – you get the drift!
Foot in Mouth Syndrome. Personally I’ve had this ‘ailment’ since I learnt how to formulate a sentence, but fear not, there is hope. And that hope comes in the form of actually thinking before you speak, or tweet – in this case. There’s a difference between your opinion and your brands opinion; do you really want to alienate a gazillion possible customers by offending their beliefs? No, you don’t, so don’t do that. When it comes to your brands online reputation, the key is to play it safe and play it smart.
These tips will definitely get you steered in the right direction for 2015, so don’t forget to come back and let us know how you get on!